SiBlog Logo

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Did You Know?

For those of you who don't know me my name is Zach! I'm Simon's older brother studying medicine, proctology, African Dung Beetles and small little things called adams! Since I am a medical student I thought I would post an intermittent blog called "Did You Know". My intent is to share some fun, interesting and maybe useful 'stuff'! So give me some feedback and comments and enjoy!

Did You Know?
By Zach


Did you Know? If you are imprisoned and given only bread and water you would be better off if you only drink the water and leave the bread. Without all 21 essential Amino Acids in your diet your body can't form all the essential proteins needed for organ and cardiovascular function. When you are in starvation mode (little or no food) your body starts breaking down protein from your muscles for essential functions. However, when you substitute in carbohydrates and no protein your body is tricked into thinking it has sufficient nutrition to supply its needs. Your body doesn't produce or extract enough protein from your muscles to form antibodies, albumin and apolipoproteins leading to potbellies, edema (swelling), lethargy, anemia (Red Blood Cell Deficiency) and death. This disorder is referred to as Kwashiorkor and seen frequently in African children. So you would be better off if you completely starved yourself, sounds counterintuitive.

Map and calculate your running mileage - a pretty sweet website for runners.

No comments: