SiBlog Logo

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

PsyBlog

Hello! My name is Paige, and as the newest addition to Teh SiBlog, I thought I'd share a little bit about myself and share an idea about a topic to add to this site.

I've known Simon since the good ol' days of Tony's Meats, making our pastries and selling our overpriced coffee. Somehow I made my way out to SoCal (Southern California) where I just graduated with my Psychology degree this past December. My other interests include reading up on pop culture, the financial industry, and the oh so important, beer promotional work.

Being that I am a psychology major, I thought I'd add "PsyBlog" . My hope is that I can share some interesting Psychology articles or facts! Please give me your feedback and comments!


And for my first post.....

Phobias. We all have something or someone that makes us nervous or anxious. However, when do you know that that nervousness or anxiety is a little too much to handle? Perhaps it's preventing you from living a "normal, functional" life? It is possible that you have a phobia.

According to Dictionary.com, a phobia is described as "a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it." A couple phobias that are worth noting are:
  • Kathisophobia - the fear of sitting down (this could be a problem in many ways).
  • Melophobia - the fear or hatred of music
  • Pediophobia - the fear of dolls
  • Pogonophobia - the fear of beards

And a few "serious" ones:

  • Nyctophobia - the fear of night or darkness
  • Pteromerhanophobia - the fear of flying
  • Soceraphobia - fear of parents-in-law
  • Triskaidekaphobia- fear of the number 13

If you'd like to see the most lengthy list of phobias, you can visit phobialist.com. Let me know what you think!

10 comments:

Simon said...

I have Urophobia and Spheksophobia. If you want to know what they are you have to look them up!

Paige said...

hmm, the psychologist in me would say that you were punished for wetting your bed when you were a child and somehow you have not been able to surpass that issue, creating the phobia of urinating. Urinating = punishment.

The wasp thing...yeah, maybe they terrorized you as a kid. You know how Littleton is known for their wasps!

Simon said...

No, that is not the reason but interesting.

I got stuck in a tree full of wasps when I was little. I got stung a few many times.

Zach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paige said...

Ok, Fashion and Personality Disorders...maybe we should try to determine if the person has a Personality Disorder by the fashion they wear??

I think we're getting somewhere...

Zach said...

You know you could also call it the PsyPaige because Paige rhymes with page. And a page is somehting that can be used to write on like a notepage, webpage, blank page...So it would be kind of like a riddle. Psy could refer to your mental state.So the page would in fact be your page on Psych or your mental state with your name attached to the page. Hence PsyPaige or PsyBlogPaige or PsychoPaigic. The possibilities are endless. They really are!

Simon said...

I like PsyBlog, but a good point for other kinds of posts (ie GossipPaige)

Paige said...

hahah

I like PsyBlog too... just because it rhymes with SiBlog...

anyway, I'll have to come up with some names for my other posts. Oh, I was also thinking of doing a music section and calling it Paige's Pod (like iPod)... the possibilities for this site are ENDLESS!

Luke said...

Your all nuts, what is the fear of sock puppets?

Simon said...

@Luke

That would be:
Pupaphobia - Fear of puppets