SiBlog Logo

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Storm Thorgerson: King of Album Covers

With Pink Floyd being my favorite band of all-time it is very fitting that my favorite artist of all-time is Storm Thorgerson. Storm Thorgerson designed Pink Floyds album covers as well as many other bands including Led Zepplin, Phish, Scorpions, Peter Gabriel, The Cranberries, The Mars Volta, Alan Parsons Project, The Catherine Wheel and more

Storm Thorgerson (born 1944 in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire) is an English graphic designer. He was a key member of the British graphic art group Hipgnosis, and designed many of their most famous single and album covers. Perhaps his most famous designs are those for Pink Floyd. His design for Dark Side of the Moon has been called one of the greatest album covers of all time. Many of his designs are notable for their surreal elements. He often places objects out of their traditional contexts, especially with vast spaces around them, to give them an awkward appearance while highlighting their beauty. To quote Thorgerson, "I like photography because it is a reality medium, unlike drawing which is unreal. I like to mess with reality...to bend reality. Some of my works beg the question of is it real or not?" Several books have been devoted to surveying Thorgerson's work over three-plus decades.

Taken from Wikipedia

Now that I have given you a brief bio of Storm Thorgerson, I would like to show you some of his greatest pieces of art (in my opinion)

Chrome - The Catherine Wheel
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Eye 2 Eye - Scorpions
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

De-Loused In The Comatorium - Mars Volta (2 pictures)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Program the Dead - Program the Dead
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...And My Personal Favorite
Tree of Half Life - Pink Floyd
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


For More Art and Information Check Out These Links:
-Storm Thorgerson Official Website
-Taken By Storm
-Rupert Truman
-Rate Your Music List of Albums by Storm Thorgerson -Provided by Alabaster
-Amazon List of Books By Storm Thorgerson

4 comments:

Walter Stonewall said...

I could look at his pics all day. They are always so interesting and original.

Luke said...

I love the pic that Walt had in college w/ naked backs of women covered in Pink Floyd album art. That tree pic is pretty friggin sweet!

Simon said...

Yep, he is responsible for that one too

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post
is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem.

You're incredible! Thanks!

Review my website: home cellulite treatment